Thursday, August 13, 2009

Church Signs... Good or Silly?

I always read the saying's and things that Church's put up on their sign for the passing traffic to read. I saw one the other day that I did not agree with. Simply because I felt it was misleading... The board read "The narrow path to Heaven is always open." Now to me this is not correct. the path to Heaven IS always open. But I strongly disagree that the path is in any way "Narrow". With all of the redemptive options Christ gives us to get to Heaven the path is Wide like an empty California Highway. I cant imagine thinking that the path to Heaven is narrow and complicated. Christ gives us so many opportunities to get to the Kingdom of Heaven it is overwhelming. Think about it... With the Sacraments alone. Confession, The Eucharist, Mass... Then there are the things that we can do voluntarily that bring us closer to Christ and make our relationship With him so much stronger. for instance: Adoration, The Rosary (this of course being with the intercession of our Blessed Virgin Mary to help us grow closer to him) stations of the Cross, Devotions. I mean the list goes on. I am just giving ideas of a few things we can do. Now, I also thought of the fact that this saying was in fact on a protestant church board. Meaning a lot of the pathways that we as Catholics have leading us closer to Christ are not there for the people who are attending this Church. Which then leads to another point. If your Church is teaching that the path to Heaven is "Narrow" and it is in some way difficult to get in, and the Catholic church, The FIRST church, Built on Peter our first Pope, Disciple of Jesus himself is teaching that there are many ways to make your journey to Christ and Heaven much easier... why would you stay at the church that is telling you and trying to make it sound so difficult to get there!? It makes no sense to me! But then again I guess I have just been blessed with my beliefs and have never been to close to any beliefs of a protestant church to understand them... I don't know. Its like this, If you can go to a store, and pay less for your stuff and get ten time's as much as you would from the store right next door, why continue to pay more, struggle with things and get less result's? Not much sense in it is there?

No comments: